Tips for loosening up
- Simplification is the key …Paint in the abstract phase without adding detail for as long as you can
- Remember the mood and the focal point are the emphasis, other
things are left abstract
- Squint and compare everything! Squinting simplifies things naturally.
- Paint beyond the lines, we are not doing a coloring book.
- Paint with a big brush, cover broad passages simply.
- Paint using your full arm and the full length of the handle, we are not writing.
- Step back often, make sure your painting reads at a distance so it must be simple.